When I was pregnant with both my daughters, I didn’t have cravings so much as I had aversions. One exception to not having cravings was cake. I always seemed to be in search of the perfect slice of cake when I was pregnant. Is it any wonder that both my daughters love cake?
I don’t consider myself much of a “homemaker” and tend to cut corners wherever I can, but I tend to make cake from scratch for 2 reasons:
- It tastes so much better than cake from a box.
- My husband loves to cook and keeps our pantry pretty well-stocked at all times, which makes whipping up cake from scratch at a moments notice pretty darned easy.
Here is a basic milk cake recipe that l turn to when the demand for cake in my home raises to a fever pitch:
Leche Caliente Cake
Hot Milk Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/4 cups all purpose flower
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups low fat milk
- 10 tablespoons (cubed) butter
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed until thick and lemon-colored (about 5 minutes). Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add combined flour and baking powder; beat at low speed until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter is melted. Add gradually to batter; beat until combined.
- Pour into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
I was inspired to share this easy dessert recipe using milk because my buddy El Maestro del Vaso Medio LLeno just launched a webshow called, El Vaso Medio Lleno: The Most Positive Show in the Universe and the inaugural webisode, El Mejor Flan del Mundo just put me in a dessert-craving mood.
I love flan!!! I’m might just have to try and make my own.
Subscribe to El Vaso Medio Lleno Youtube Channel so you don’t miss a webisode.
This is part of a sponsored campaign with the California Milk Processor Board and Latina Mom Bloggers. However, all opinions expressed are my own.